High school reunions
This year is one of the Big Ones for reunions. Hubby and I are both "celebrating" 20 years since graduation. Two decades since we fled the stench of mandatory gym class and other assorted hells that filled our high school years. (Seperate high schools, in two different southern states - Florida for him, Alabama for me.)
I've never seen a high school that wasn't totally divided down the clique lines. Maybe they exist, but not that I found. For hubby, he was a cross country runner - so he was a nerdy jock (come on, if it's not football, basketball, or baseball in the south, it's not a true Jock Sport). A nerdy jock that liked to party - most of his stories from high school involve which parents were out of town, and who was to drunk to drive home. He at least had a regular crowd of casual friends that stuck together, mostly to get away from the fact they weren't in the "it" crowd, the true jock crowd, the smart crowd, or any other of The Crowds. I was just a nerdy geek. A nerdy geek that also had a 20-30 hour a week job, so there was pretty much no hanging out at school even if I'd wanted to. Which I certainly didn't!
So neither of us were scarred by our education years. We just ... survived them. And left without a look behind.
Neither of us carried highschool friendships with us into adulthood. He had one (1) friend that actually stayed a friend long enough to be best man in our wedding, but that ended on a bad note not to long later. I haven't talked to anyone from my graduation class since shortly after graduation.
So why would we even think about our 20th reunions with any desire to attend? When the invitations first showed up, we tossed them without even a comment. Then we actually talked about one, and we had a good laugh about it. When the sixteenth (maybe it was the nineteenth... I started loosing track, but these people do NOT let up) came, we actually discussed it. We agreed that we had no desire to inflict that sort of pain on each other. I'd rather repaint the house in the midday heat of July. He'd rather sit through a ballet. In other words, it wasn't going to happen.
And then last week his mother found out. And in short order, she convinced him that he needed to go to Network With The Alumni.
So, because I'm such a supportive, understanding, got-your-back kind of wife, I am now commited to actually attending a 20th high school reunion. I can only be grateful he wants to network with his ex-classmates, and not mine.
I spent part of today staring into my closet. And realized I have nothing at all to wear to a cocktail reception on Friday night. I am going to be forced to buy a gown to wear (ahem. Golden Heart / Rita Award night, I got ya covered!). And because I have absolutely nothing to wear to a beachside evening cookout, I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy something for that too.
The things we do for love...
I've never seen a high school that wasn't totally divided down the clique lines. Maybe they exist, but not that I found. For hubby, he was a cross country runner - so he was a nerdy jock (come on, if it's not football, basketball, or baseball in the south, it's not a true Jock Sport). A nerdy jock that liked to party - most of his stories from high school involve which parents were out of town, and who was to drunk to drive home. He at least had a regular crowd of casual friends that stuck together, mostly to get away from the fact they weren't in the "it" crowd, the true jock crowd, the smart crowd, or any other of The Crowds. I was just a nerdy geek. A nerdy geek that also had a 20-30 hour a week job, so there was pretty much no hanging out at school even if I'd wanted to. Which I certainly didn't!
So neither of us were scarred by our education years. We just ... survived them. And left without a look behind.
Neither of us carried highschool friendships with us into adulthood. He had one (1) friend that actually stayed a friend long enough to be best man in our wedding, but that ended on a bad note not to long later. I haven't talked to anyone from my graduation class since shortly after graduation.
So why would we even think about our 20th reunions with any desire to attend? When the invitations first showed up, we tossed them without even a comment. Then we actually talked about one, and we had a good laugh about it. When the sixteenth (maybe it was the nineteenth... I started loosing track, but these people do NOT let up) came, we actually discussed it. We agreed that we had no desire to inflict that sort of pain on each other. I'd rather repaint the house in the midday heat of July. He'd rather sit through a ballet. In other words, it wasn't going to happen.
And then last week his mother found out. And in short order, she convinced him that he needed to go to Network With The Alumni.
So, because I'm such a supportive, understanding, got-your-back kind of wife, I am now commited to actually attending a 20th high school reunion. I can only be grateful he wants to network with his ex-classmates, and not mine.
I spent part of today staring into my closet. And realized I have nothing at all to wear to a cocktail reception on Friday night. I am going to be forced to buy a gown to wear (ahem. Golden Heart / Rita Award night, I got ya covered!). And because I have absolutely nothing to wear to a beachside evening cookout, I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy something for that too.
The things we do for love...
---------------------------------------------


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home