Is today the day?
Samantha spent yesterday afternoon with her "nanny" (grandmother), going shopping, to the beach, running up and down the stairs in their three story house. She was still wired with excitement when she got home, so it was close to 10 before she finally gave in to the forces of exhaustion.
She woke me up at 7 with her usual pitiful call of "Mommy...." This is usually followed by "I'm wet. It's time to take a bath." Today, all she said was "Is today the day my cousins come?"
"No honey. 6 more days." I'd already taken down her child gate, expecting she'd be ready to get up.
"Ok. I'm not ready to get up." And she rolled over and pulled the covers up.
Huh? Ok...
I crept off to my own bed, sure she would change her mind before my head hit the pillow.
90 blissfully quiet minutes later:
"Mommy? Is today the day my cousins come?"
She's just a little bit excited!
Six more days, and my big sis, her hubby, and their six kids will be here for a few days of sun, sand, cookouts, birthday / 4th of July parties, and probably a few late nights that will make me feel old again. I'm not sure who gets more worn out, the kids or the parents. I'm not sure why the parents aren't smart enough to put themselves to bed before they get totally worn out. But all the three (almost four) year old wants to know is.... are they coming today!!!???
Today will be more house cleaning, and a birthday party for one of Samantha's classmates. "Nanny" is taking Montgomery to see a movie this afternoon, and maybe keeping him overnight as well. And now I know how my morning will start everyday this week.
"Mommy? Is today the day my cousins come?"
She woke me up at 7 with her usual pitiful call of "Mommy...." This is usually followed by "I'm wet. It's time to take a bath." Today, all she said was "Is today the day my cousins come?"
"No honey. 6 more days." I'd already taken down her child gate, expecting she'd be ready to get up.
"Ok. I'm not ready to get up." And she rolled over and pulled the covers up.
Huh? Ok...
I crept off to my own bed, sure she would change her mind before my head hit the pillow.
90 blissfully quiet minutes later:
"Mommy? Is today the day my cousins come?"
She's just a little bit excited!
Six more days, and my big sis, her hubby, and their six kids will be here for a few days of sun, sand, cookouts, birthday / 4th of July parties, and probably a few late nights that will make me feel old again. I'm not sure who gets more worn out, the kids or the parents. I'm not sure why the parents aren't smart enough to put themselves to bed before they get totally worn out. But all the three (almost four) year old wants to know is.... are they coming today!!!???
Today will be more house cleaning, and a birthday party for one of Samantha's classmates. "Nanny" is taking Montgomery to see a movie this afternoon, and maybe keeping him overnight as well. And now I know how my morning will start everyday this week.
"Mommy? Is today the day my cousins come?"
---------------------------------------------


5 Comments:
Awwwe! That is too cute! Cousins are wonderful! I was blessed to live next door my entire childhood. And one of my favs lives less than 20 feet from me now. :D I hope your lil one has a blast when her cousins get there!
Hey, Karen! My kids call my mother "Nanny" too! I didn't have any cousins, so I'm happy that my kids have a whole slew of them on dh's side, five of whom live in the same town. Dh has a slew of them, too, and they all still get along great. Cousins can definitely rock -- I don't blame her for being excited. Have fun!
Ooooh whats an rss feed?
That's cool. All our cousins were older than us so my bro and I never really grew up close to any.
Aww mine's just done the same thing! My sis, her hubby and her daughter came over to visit from Spain. My little one asked the same thing days before their arrival.
So sweet!
:o)
Post a Comment
<< Home