Catastrophic Katrina
This monster of a hurricane is still 12 to 24 hours from landfall, but like many people in the country - and I'd say most people in the south east - I've become fascinated with this history making storm.
Disclaimer - I am not the person that slows down to get a good look at the traffic accident on the side of the road. I'm the person riding your bumper, blowing my horn, and cursing you for slowing down to get a good look. And blowing past you as soon as the accident-closed lane becomes an open lane in front of us - likely giving you at the minimum a dirty look as I leave you in my rear view mirror. I despise the voyerism of the masses.
But nothing screams raw power like Mother Nature. While I understand that the Weather Channel - and CNN, and MSNBC, and the rest of the acronym networks as well - want to put a human face to a storm of "catstrophic proportions" what I'm watching for is the science. I want to see the charts, the graphs, the statistics of where Katrina ranks in terms of storms before, and anticipate it's place in our history.
Flood proof bridges; a superdome built to withstand 200mph winds; a pumping system to drain a flooded city. 2 million people to evacuate on 3 roads.
New Orleans, our eyes are on your low-lying beauty. Good luck to you - and get the hell out of town if you can.
Disclaimer - I am not the person that slows down to get a good look at the traffic accident on the side of the road. I'm the person riding your bumper, blowing my horn, and cursing you for slowing down to get a good look. And blowing past you as soon as the accident-closed lane becomes an open lane in front of us - likely giving you at the minimum a dirty look as I leave you in my rear view mirror. I despise the voyerism of the masses.
But nothing screams raw power like Mother Nature. While I understand that the Weather Channel - and CNN, and MSNBC, and the rest of the acronym networks as well - want to put a human face to a storm of "catstrophic proportions" what I'm watching for is the science. I want to see the charts, the graphs, the statistics of where Katrina ranks in terms of storms before, and anticipate it's place in our history.
Flood proof bridges; a superdome built to withstand 200mph winds; a pumping system to drain a flooded city. 2 million people to evacuate on 3 roads.
New Orleans, our eyes are on your low-lying beauty. Good luck to you - and get the hell out of town if you can.
---------------------------------------------


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home