the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day
When I was in 7th grade, my english teacher had one of those "to corny to be cool" moments and read to the class from "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day". It was one of those What a Dork moments - we could not believe our previously very-cool teacher was reading to us from a preschooler's book. And yet....
That book stayed with me. It was a book I hadn't heard when I *was* a preschooler. And I don't know what combination of brain firings made that book stick out in my mind, but somehow for 20+ years, when I am truly having a rotton, nasty, crawl-in-bed-and-pull-the-wine-bottle-after-me day, the first lines of that book echo in my ear.
"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboad and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terible, horrible, no good very bad day.
...
I think I'll move to Australia."
Yes, today was one of those days. But it will pass.
I do wonder though, if Alexander ever made it to Australia.
That book stayed with me. It was a book I hadn't heard when I *was* a preschooler. And I don't know what combination of brain firings made that book stick out in my mind, but somehow for 20+ years, when I am truly having a rotton, nasty, crawl-in-bed-and-pull-the-wine-bottle-after-me day, the first lines of that book echo in my ear.
"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboad and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terible, horrible, no good very bad day.
...
I think I'll move to Australia."
Yes, today was one of those days. But it will pass.
I do wonder though, if Alexander ever made it to Australia.
---------------------------------------------


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home