Outrage, cont.
My sis talked earlier about her "outrage of the week". Nepotism aside, I have to agree it's outrageous.
But the thing that I can't get thru my thick liberal agnostic skull is, where does torture fit into the theology of the ultra-conservative, right-leaning Republican party we have today?
I admit it's been a few years since I sat down with my christian bible, but from my memory it preached "turn the other cheek". It taught "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." How about "blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God" and ‘love your enemies’.
Yet the same people who go to church weekly, professing the need for a moral guide to drive this country to the right (and to the Right), will stand behind torture, assasination, and a war that furthers none of the New Testament teachings in it's pursuit of power and might makes right.
I never feel so much on the outside looking in, as when I see polls saying a larger number of people than those recognized as insane in this country support, nay pursue, these methods. I don't agree that our governments roll is to be a moral watchdog on our country, nevermind on the globe at large. But when these same people decide that they can apply different moral standards to Us than to Them, how far off are we from living in some Orwellion world?
But the thing that I can't get thru my thick liberal agnostic skull is, where does torture fit into the theology of the ultra-conservative, right-leaning Republican party we have today?
I admit it's been a few years since I sat down with my christian bible, but from my memory it preached "turn the other cheek". It taught "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." How about "blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God" and ‘love your enemies’.
Yet the same people who go to church weekly, professing the need for a moral guide to drive this country to the right (and to the Right), will stand behind torture, assasination, and a war that furthers none of the New Testament teachings in it's pursuit of power and might makes right.
I never feel so much on the outside looking in, as when I see polls saying a larger number of people than those recognized as insane in this country support, nay pursue, these methods. I don't agree that our governments roll is to be a moral watchdog on our country, nevermind on the globe at large. But when these same people decide that they can apply different moral standards to Us than to Them, how far off are we from living in some Orwellion world?
---------------------------------------------


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home