Karen's Place
About Me


Name::K.A.S.
From::

View my complete profile

Recent Posts

10 things I've done in the last 24 hours
All I want for Christmas
Brain Vacation
Nano'd out
Pure Nerd
I survived the 6th grade science fair
Empty houses
Happy Thanksgiving Day
Really having a great visit with David and his fam...
Having a great time with David, Becca and Ace. Ta...

Archives

October 2004
December 2004
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006

Links

  • Bush-League
  • Musings
  • The OTHER Karen S
  • The Daily Mumps
  • Desire Authors
  • Shakespeare's Sister
  • Blogging Baby
  • Waiter Rant
  • Opinionistas
  • LKH
  • Crabby Cows

  • My Very Long Blogroll
  • . : Divas : .

    Technorati

    Enter:


    Wednesday, December 07, 2005

    Of Bloglines and blogs

    I've used Bloglines since before I had a blog. It's a great RSS feed reader, and at first I used it to keep track of the news while I was working. I could pick the web sites I liked (Yahoo News, Slate, ESPN News, The Motley Fool, Slashdot, and about 20 others), and all this world changing news would show up on a single web page. It is a wonderful thing.

    Soon I was introduced to Waiterrant, and Blogging Baby, and before I knew it there were as many Blogs on my bloglines as there were info sources. I found voices I liked the sound of speaking on topics I liked reading about. Subscribe! It's as easy as the click of a button with Bloglines, and these days my bloglines list fluctuates between 120-150 sites I read semi-regularly. Probably 50 daily, another 50 every few days, and the rest once a week at least. If a week goes by and I haven't read a blog, I remove my subscription. Did I mention it's all free? So much better than magazines or newspapers!

    Opinionista is one that I read every time there's a new post. But bloglines technology has revealed more about it's author than she perhaps knows. "O" as she calls herself is a compulsive editor of old material.

    Every time a blog entry is edited, bloglines shows it as a new post. Several times a day, I'll see that the Opinionista blog has a new entry. I'll happily click on the link, wondering what new depths from the legal hell-pit are about to be revealed, and see that she's merely edited an entry from days or weeks before.

    It's become a bit of a game for me. When I spot a typo (a missing "the" or a double word "we we") I'll wonder how long it will be before she notices it and fixes it. Sometimes it's only a few hours. I've noted periods as long as 3 weeks.

    Personally, I don't read back my old entries. Comments, yes, but only of entries in the last few days. My own entries - no. I'm sure there are typo's a many, but they'll stay there as marks of my imperfect self.

    My "grand plan" (ha! See, I can plan!) is to print it all out at the end of the year and put it into a binder. Maybe I'll pretty it up with a fancy cover. Nah, that won't happen but I may really print it out. My online journal will become a printed journal, and I see myself sitting down looking thru it as the clock ticks towards midnight. There will of course be wine involved. Maybe I'll cringe looking back and seeing my many errors. More likely I'll mutter ce la vie and put it on the shelf for when I'm old, and wearing purple hats. And drinking wine.

    ---------------------------------------------

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Deborah said...

    It used to drive me crazy that she went back and edited so much. And today she's edited about 7 things - I keep opening it up in Bloglines, then a couple hours later there's a few more edits. Now I think it's hilarious. I usually go and re-read as soon as I post, but after that .... my mistakes are there for the world to see.

    And your end of the year plan sounds great. I've kinda missed keeping a written journal - something I can hold in my hands. And, well....anything with wine is a good idea. ;)

    8/12/05 2:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home