Karen's Place
About Me


Name::K.A.S.
From::

View my complete profile

Recent Posts

30 boxes
Monday morning notes, delayed til Monday afternoon
FCRW Conference
The Peter Potty : Training Urinal
March 29??
Q&A with Chrissy Brashear of Samhain Publishing
Google Pages
Still alive
Happy St. Patrick's Day
Authors,

Archives

October 2004
December 2004
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006

Links

  • Bush-League
  • Musings
  • The OTHER Karen S
  • The Daily Mumps
  • Desire Authors
  • Shakespeare's Sister
  • Blogging Baby
  • Waiter Rant
  • Opinionistas
  • LKH
  • Crabby Cows

  • My Very Long Blogroll
  • . : Divas : .

    Technorati

    Enter:


    Thursday, April 06, 2006

    National Tartan Day! and Conversatons about God

    It's Natioanl Tartan Day!
    I'm not sure why this makes me so happy. I don't claim a family tartan; my only experiences with wearing tartan involved generally icky school uniforms.

    Of course pictures like this may have something to do with it...


    http://www.welfonder.com/images/men%20in%20kilts/imbild_zoom.jpg

    Conversations with a 3 year old.
    I'm driving home from grocery shopping with Samantha today, and she's humming some little happy happy song in the backseat. Not really paying attention to what it is, but I'm happy because she's happy, and then out of no-where-land comes the question "God makes the flowers grow, right Mommy?"

    Being happily non-commital on others views of religion (as long as these hypothetical other people aren't imposing their unwelcome views on others), I was temporarily stumped on how to handle this query. In the knick of time came an NPR news brief on happenings in Washington today, inspiring me to do as the politicians do - don't answer the question, redirect! "Did Mrs. L teach you that?" (Mrs. L is her very sweet, likely Methodist pre-school teacher. Lovely woman.)

    Sending my child to a Methodist preschool, I probably should have been ready for questions like this, but my son escaped his 3 years of Methodist preschool blissfully uninspired to question me.

    "Yes. And she said God makes the rain fall. Does God make the rainfall Mommy?"

    Oh boy. Now, this same teacher has given lovely lessons this year on planting seeds, zoology, insects, and rainbows. All of these lessons involved actual science, at an appropriate preschool level. So how do I tell her that no, it's not so much God making the flowers grow and the rain fall as it is the forces of nature at work?

    "Did Mrs. L teach you that too?"

    "No. That was Miss B." She hums a few bars of the same song as before. "But I can't remember the other two parts. Only the flowers and the rain."

    Suddenly it clicks for me. "Samantha, is there a song about God making the flowers grow and the rain fall?"

    "Yes Mommy. What's the rest of it?"

    Whew. Theological crisis averted. It's all just a song. A song that makes me cringe with it's less than correct message, but as long as it's just a song I can live with it.

    But next time my baby asks me if God made the flowers, I'm going to have to have a better answer ready. Hope she gives me a year or two to think about it. Three would be better... I could tell her to "google it".

    ---------------------------------------------

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home