Karen's Place
About Me


Name::K.A.S.
From::

View my complete profile

Recent Posts

Fun with Slideshows
Busy, sleepy Mondays
Weekend to-do
Tagged I am
What does this picture say to you?
Friday's are for relaxing
Happy Wednesday
When Dell met Alienware
Easter Happiness
The view from Buckets

Archives

October 2004
December 2004
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006

Links

  • Bush-League
  • Musings
  • The OTHER Karen S
  • The Daily Mumps
  • Desire Authors
  • Shakespeare's Sister
  • Blogging Baby
  • Waiter Rant
  • Opinionistas
  • LKH
  • Crabby Cows

  • My Very Long Blogroll
  • . : Divas : .

    Technorati

    Enter:


    Thursday, May 04, 2006

    Mosquito magnet killer to General Manager

    Mosquito season is here. I wasn't really thinking about it, beyond filling the propane tank on the Mosquito Magnet a month ago. (*Mosquito Magnet - bug killer on propane steroids. Quietly efficient, it keeps our backyard amazingly mosquito free. Quite a feat, since we live about 200 yards off the marsh.)

    Then yesterday, my darling husband bought a lawnmower. After over 13 years of having our yard sporadically cut by a friend with a lawn service, he finally caved in to the knee high growth and decided to take care of it himself.

    If you know my husband, your jaw probably hit the floor. Mr Home Improvement he isn't. Of the two of us, I'm the fixer-uper, and that's a scary thought. It's also the reason that the week before we have company come to stay we spend hours and hours frantically running around with hammers and nail guns, trying to prop up things that are droopy and cover up things that are broken. But anyway.

    Took him 2 hours to put the mower together. Then he had to go buy a gas can. Then after 15 minutes of staring at the can, he asked me how to attach the pour spout to the top. Then he started mowing the grass.

    Five minutes later I decided to take a picture. He just looked so cute. My man, cutting grass.





    And then he turned to me (that's when I took his picture... see that "oh shit" grin on his face?) and said "Did that black power cord running across the sidewalk go to something important?"

    That black power cord, of course, went to the mosquito magnet. The only thing standing between a summer of outdoor fun, and a summer of curses as the bloodthirsty hordes chase us inside until November.

    "Idiot." That was the nicest thing that came out of my mouth. Of course I had to yell it, since the lawn mower was running. Any neighbors who were outside now have a wonderful opinion of my man.

    Luckily for him, the day did get better. There's a new football league in town, and without going into way To Much Information about minor league football, last night they offered him a position as General Manager. Yay! I think this makes job number 6 (I've got to count - I can't keep track - Golf Tournament Co-ordinator; Tennant Printing sales; Radio Show Host; Trivia Host; Inside Golf sales manager; yes, this is number 6, General Manager of the Jacksonville Bobcats).

    He thought about it for all of about 2 minutes. I guess he realized he had no future in yard maintenance, so he'd better find something to keep him out of the house more often...

    ---------------------------------------------

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Karen Erickson said...

    Our grass (otherwise known as weeds, since we still don't have an official yard yet cos we live out in the sticks) are knee deep and deeper in some places. My husband has to use a tractor mower to get it all down. And let me tell you, he's been in some pretty strange situations in that thing (getting it stuck in mud for one).

    Mosquitoes are terrible - I hear in FL you get them real bad!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Karens need to stick together! LOL

    4/5/06 11:52 AM  
    Blogger Eva Gale said...

    Mosquitos are birds here too! I'll have to get one.

    5/5/06 9:45 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    DH got an electric lawn mower because (1) they come assembled (2) you can't run out of gas. He's a handy one all right. We had a push mower until I got preggers and thought it might pull something to push mow and passed lawn duty on to him...yeah, then he buys a mower.

    5/5/06 4:18 PM  
    Blogger April said...

    LOL Karen. That story was a trip. Poor guy hehe

    18/5/06 12:14 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home