Karen's Place
About Me


Name::K.A.S.
From::

View my complete profile

Recent Posts

Friday Moive
Ellora's Cave Chat tonight!
Google Calendar, deux
IBM Thinkpads and Trackpoint
Laptop withdrawl
What time is it?T
Puck time at Hockey
Nokia 770 internet tablet
I've got a case of the Thursdays
Did I loose?

Archives

October 2004
December 2004
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006

Links

  • Bush-League
  • Musings
  • The OTHER Karen S
  • The Daily Mumps
  • Desire Authors
  • Shakespeare's Sister
  • Blogging Baby
  • Waiter Rant
  • Opinionistas
  • LKH
  • Crabby Cows

  • My Very Long Blogroll
  • . : Divas : .

    Technorati

    Enter:


    Saturday, March 11, 2006

    Grilled Pancakes

    I had one of those "what if..." moments this morning. I was putting away last nights dishes, and Samantha wanted pancakes. Both normal parts of a Saturday morning. Then I saw my George Foreman grill, still sitting out on the counter from last nights grilled shrimp and mahi, and that's when I thought ... "what if I just made the pancakes on the grill." This thought had nothing to do with not wanting to wash the pancake skillet. Nothing at all.

    But figuring that the worst thing that would happen was that Samantha would end up with raison toast for breakfast if the pancakes were a flop, I went ahead and gave it a try. Pancakes have never been easier.


    CIMG0343



    First, the set up. Since the grill was already out, I just had to slide a plate under the front legs to make the cooking surface level. I use a pre-packaged pancake mix, so my little helper pulled that out for me. Add a whisk and a measuring cup to mix/pour from, and we're all set. Coffee and laptop are optional accessories. Plug in the grill so it can get hot while you're mixing. I used the highest setting, and it made 3 minute pancakes.

    CIMG0345

    Measure out the mix and water, and let your helper get to work. Or, if you find yourself without a helper, stir it yourself. It's just a little wrist action, it won't hurt.

    CIMG0347

    Now pour the batter onto the preheated surface. Hopefully you've propped up the front of the grill so your batter doesn't run out onto the countertop. See ** below.

    CIMG0349

    Close the lid, and let it be for about two minutes. If you smell burning pancakes, it's a good sign you'll need to lower your heat setting. High worked for me just fine, and there was no burning involved. This is a good time to drink that coffee or check out some messages online. Do it quick though - those pancakes are almost ready to eat.

    CIMG0350

    After two minutes or so, open the lid. With my grill, the tops weren't cooking quite as fast as the bottoms. But they are holding their shape very, very nicely. Slip a rubber spatula (no metal on the grill please!) under an edge and flip those babies over. Mmmmm. Looking good. Close the lid for another minute. Good time to grab the syrup and pop it in the micro for 30 seconds, if you like your syrup warm.

    CIMG0351
    Now open the lid and look. You should see ready to eat pancakes! Ok, they're shaped a little oddly - but you know, those ridges are great for catching the syrup and holding it there. Mmmm.

    CIMG0354

    Time for the taste test.

    CIMG0359
    She likes them! She really, really likes them!

    Cleanup was a breeze. Wipe off the cooking surface, wash out that mixing cup and whisk, and you're done. And the pancakes tasted yummy perfect. Who'd of thought George Foreman would make great pancakes too?


    **I'm going to assume that if you're going to try this at home, you've got the intelligence to do some simple things. Like level out your surface by slipping a plate under the front legs;
    CIMG0348
    don't dribble batter into the screw holes or any other openings; and for heavens sake don't touch the grill surface with your bare fingers after it's hot. Because, you know, its hot. Children should not be pouring the batter, or flipping the pancakes, or in any way touching the grill. Because, you know, it's hot.


    So now I'm wondering what else I can cook on my Foreman Grill. Suggestions? What's the oddest thing you've ever cooked on yours?

    ---------------------------------------------

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    I've never gotten creative with the Foreman...will show this to the boys later and see what they think...French Toast would be perfect though...hmm...

    11/3/06 9:59 PM  
    Blogger Silma said...

    *LOL* I have one of those GF grills, and I never thought about using it for pancakes. You're a genius!

    11/3/06 10:07 PM  
    Blogger Laura Rose said...

    Karen LOL

    I love how you have the laptop right next to the grill. Nice bit of product placement going on there!

    11/3/06 11:06 PM  
    Blogger Loribelle Hunt said...

    Great idea, Karen. I'm going to have to try this lol.

    12/3/06 12:37 AM  
    Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

    Ooo that IS a great idea! I may try that. If I can find my grill thingy. Or did I donate it. SIGH. I microwave my eggs, too!

    12/3/06 2:04 AM  
    Blogger Jodie said...

    My pancake tip. Pina Colada pancakes. Add coconut powder/milk to the mix, some sugar and pinapple juice. It's best to do this to taste (taste-testing) because it varies for me.

    12/3/06 5:47 AM  
    Blogger Deborah said...

    You're gonna get really creative and do everything on the grill now, huh? I see a cookbook in your future. :)

    12/3/06 11:25 AM  
    Blogger Bebe said...

    I lurve my Georgie!!! I've made just about everything on it - grilled cheese, panini, roasted vegies (esp. portabella mushrooms, yum)- but not pancakes. You are truly innovative!

    12/3/06 11:45 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    holy crap it worked!!! lol gonna have to give that one a go myself lol

    19/3/06 11:33 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home