5 things I don't get.
(Later) 5 things I don't get
Spent a while catching up on the news from 2005. Things that made me go huh? :
1 - Howard Stern. I just don't get him. Now that's ok, there's lots of people I don't "get". I don't think there's anything wrong with me for not getting him, or with him for doing what he does, although I do feel somewhat stupider every time I listen to him. Kinda like reality tv, which is why I don't watch that either. But I don't get the big fuss that has been made over him for his whole career. He's made a life from being a Bad Boy to the FCC, and he got some pretty WOW ratings on radio out of it. Now he's carrying that to Sirius satellite radio. Huh. Well, if you like him, enjoy!
2 - the King Kong movie phenom. I never saw the first version (s?), have no desire to see the second. It's a big monkey and it ends up in NY on the Empire State building I think? Whee. /yawn. I don't think I'm the only one not intrested - ticket sales have been good, but not great.
3 - Dr. Phil. Another celebrity I don't "get". He's bossy, arogant, and why should I think he knows anything about how to solve my problems? And the people he has on his show - well, I guess Dr. Phil is just a kissin' cousin away from reality tv. Or maybe a family tree full of kissin' cousins. But I wish he'd find a nice cozy trailer park to go help relate, and keep it off my tv.
4 - How is the Army Corp of Engineers going to rebuild a levy system in New Orleans - one that took decades to build incorrectly the first time - in 6 months? Does anyone really think this is going to happen? I think they're rolling the dice on this one, playing the odds that 2006 there will be no Hurricane Katrina / Rita / Wilma coming into the Mississippi Delta. For the brave (!) people who have returned to their hearts home in the gulf, I hope they are right.
5 - Brad Pitt / Angelina Jolie / Jennifer Aniston - They're just doing their thing, so them I kinda get. They're trying to have a real life on a world stage. But the attention showered on their personal lives by the media - and by the people who buy the magazines. Why do people care so much who's sleeping with who, and who they were with last? I mean, it's not as if the general public is actually going to need to see a blood test before they climb between the sheets with any of these three. So why does anyone care??? Someone sure does, since the highest selling magazine covers for the trash zines in '05 all had them on it.
Early - Hello 2006
It was a quiet start to a new year. And that's not a terrible thing.
I didn't call anybody at midnight, content to kiss my husband and hug my son before heading to bed. Woke up at 7:30, and had a quiet half hour to drink my coffee and read the news before Samantha woke up.
Since then, it's been a quiet morning of cleaning the kitchen (why is it that just about our only New Years Eve tradition involves cooking junk food and trashing the kitchen? ugh.), playing with Samantha, and wondering who called at 3:34 in the morning and didn't leave a message.
Happy New Year to everyone! May it be a year of dreams and wishes, love and laughter, peace and joy. And health!
Spent a while catching up on the news from 2005. Things that made me go huh? :
1 - Howard Stern. I just don't get him. Now that's ok, there's lots of people I don't "get". I don't think there's anything wrong with me for not getting him, or with him for doing what he does, although I do feel somewhat stupider every time I listen to him. Kinda like reality tv, which is why I don't watch that either. But I don't get the big fuss that has been made over him for his whole career. He's made a life from being a Bad Boy to the FCC, and he got some pretty WOW ratings on radio out of it. Now he's carrying that to Sirius satellite radio. Huh. Well, if you like him, enjoy!
2 - the King Kong movie phenom. I never saw the first version (s?), have no desire to see the second. It's a big monkey and it ends up in NY on the Empire State building I think? Whee. /yawn. I don't think I'm the only one not intrested - ticket sales have been good, but not great.
3 - Dr. Phil. Another celebrity I don't "get". He's bossy, arogant, and why should I think he knows anything about how to solve my problems? And the people he has on his show - well, I guess Dr. Phil is just a kissin' cousin away from reality tv. Or maybe a family tree full of kissin' cousins. But I wish he'd find a nice cozy trailer park to go help relate, and keep it off my tv.
4 - How is the Army Corp of Engineers going to rebuild a levy system in New Orleans - one that took decades to build incorrectly the first time - in 6 months? Does anyone really think this is going to happen? I think they're rolling the dice on this one, playing the odds that 2006 there will be no Hurricane Katrina / Rita / Wilma coming into the Mississippi Delta. For the brave (!) people who have returned to their hearts home in the gulf, I hope they are right.
5 - Brad Pitt / Angelina Jolie / Jennifer Aniston - They're just doing their thing, so them I kinda get. They're trying to have a real life on a world stage. But the attention showered on their personal lives by the media - and by the people who buy the magazines. Why do people care so much who's sleeping with who, and who they were with last? I mean, it's not as if the general public is actually going to need to see a blood test before they climb between the sheets with any of these three. So why does anyone care??? Someone sure does, since the highest selling magazine covers for the trash zines in '05 all had them on it.
Early - Hello 2006
It was a quiet start to a new year. And that's not a terrible thing.
I didn't call anybody at midnight, content to kiss my husband and hug my son before heading to bed. Woke up at 7:30, and had a quiet half hour to drink my coffee and read the news before Samantha woke up.
Since then, it's been a quiet morning of cleaning the kitchen (why is it that just about our only New Years Eve tradition involves cooking junk food and trashing the kitchen? ugh.), playing with Samantha, and wondering who called at 3:34 in the morning and didn't leave a message.
Happy New Year to everyone! May it be a year of dreams and wishes, love and laughter, peace and joy. And health!
---------------------------------------------


1 Comments:
1 - Yesterday I saw some stupid commercial where a woman gives her husband Sirius with Howard Stern for their 5th anniversary and he sends the waiter with the "I want a divorce" cake back. I watched his movie, but I've never listened to him on the radio so I have no idea.
4 - Traditionally in Alaska my grandmother's ancestors never built a village in the flood plain of a river -- or just temporary shelter they could move real quickly. Then the technologically-superior people (my other ancestors) come along and told them here's how you really ought to do things. Can't move the post office so people are stuck dealing with the flooding. Maybe that's why they won't move New Orleans... can't move the post office.
Post a Comment
<< Home